Saturday 20 August 2011

Making it in Mumbai...

The moment I begin feeling that I have, kind of, "made it" here in Mumbai.....this amazingly impersonal city shows me the mirror, at once, putting me in my place. I agree that 'making it' is quite a relative term...and can not have any particular definition...but I also feel that, at least in our (film) industry...there are people who have 'made it'. Am I talking people like Aamir Khan, Amitabh Bachchan...? Well...those are the kind of people who are beyond contentions and competitions of any sort and kind...instead, I talk about the more real ( I definitely think the lives of the kin of the above mentioned people are surreal) and flesh and blood people who constantly run neck and neck with each other to reach their respective El Dorados....people who comprise of the directors, cinematographers, editors, sound recordists...even aspiring and 'struggling' (why is term only restricted to actors, I often wonder...?! Is it too difficult to find a struggling DoP..?!) actors. When I talk about 'making it' here...I mean people of this clan and class. Of course, even here, there is a Hirani, there is a VVC, there are the Ravi Chandrans and Binod Pradhans....there is, of course, our very own Mr. Pokutty....but here...in this strata of professionals....I feel a palpable rat race of people who desperately want to 'make it' here in Mumbai.

Only...the moment one thinks he has made it...suddenly, a mirror pops up from nowhere to show him the reality.

No...at least I have not 'made it' here in Mumbai...yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment